(More) Umbrage with Style Magazine
I have nothing against this bracelet per se. It’s not really my cup of tea…it reminds me of those naff ‘friendship’ bracelets of the 90’s. Or the cuffed wristwear of international hippies…y’know the frayed, woven bands worn as a travelling badge of honour; a currency of credibility almost. But this bracelet has almost been ‘gentrified’ – stylising something best forgotten (in my book).
Mainly, however, I’m a little indifferent to the bracelet. My beef is this. The Sunday Times Style Magazine announced it as part of ‘The Hot List’ last weekend:
‘This chic bangle should be your first bit of festival season booty’
Again, harmless enough style advice.
And then, BOOM:
‘Gold-plated bracelet, £155’
Now, in what parallel universe is it ok to spend the price of two festival tickets (three if you’re bouncing around Europe) on an innocuous bracelet? A bracelet that plunders the sentimental simplicity of youthful travellers and 90’s friendships?
Should that £155 not be best spent on:
- flights to an exotic festival?
- an actual housing device for the duration of the festival?
- enough intoxicants to get you through the festival?
- Cheese and Tayto sandwiches to share with all your new friends during the festival?
- at a push, your entire wardrobe for the festival*?
* although, like me, do you not pack for the weekend and then wear the same item of clothing for 3 days running?
All I have to say on the matter is: ARSEBISCUITS
However, if you quite taken with this piece of ‘arm-candy’, you can check it out at Flash Trash.
Be advised: there is a very strong possibility you might bump into the Made in Chelsea crew (most likely Spencer) wearing the same jewels. ‘MARE.